Benefits calculator. It is not a benefit claim. Please check and resubmit. Your housing benefit will be based on this number of bedrooms, not on the size of the property you live in. See the "More Information" section below for details.. How to use the calculator If you’re affected, your Housing Benefit will go down to make sure that the total amount of benefit you get is not more than the cap level. Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance (LHA) - rates, eligibility, claim form, calculator, appeals, 'discretionary payments' This will help you to find out what rent figure to use in the calculator. you are one of a couple, don’t live with dependants and rent a room in a shared home, you are 34 years or younger and live alone (there are exemptions for severely disabled people, care leavers under 22 years of age or those with a bedroom used by care workers providing overnight care), you are 35 years or over and rent a room for your sole use in a shared home. Your housing benefit will be based on this number of bedrooms, not on the size of the property you live in. If you’re not sure who belongs to your household for housing benefit purposes, contact the housing benefit department at the local authority. For couples and single people claiming under certain circumstances the number of bedrooms you are entitled to is fixed. Find out more. estimate of the Housing Benefit you could get. We use cookies to collect information about how you use GOV.UK. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. You can change your cookie settings at any time. * Required fields are marked with an asterisk. Housing Benefit calculator This calculator gives you an estimate of the Housing Benefit you could get. Use one of the following: 1. Back to top. The benefit cap limits the total amount of benefit you can get. Copyright 2020 All rights reserved, Details of how many people live in your household, including family members, non-dependants, boarders and sub-tenants, To know whether you are entitled to an additional bedroom for someone not living with you, but who provides necessary overnight care for you or your partner, The postcode of the property you rent or want to rent, or the local authority where it’s situated. We use this information to make the website work as well as possible and improve government services. For further information, please visit our Universal Credit page or GOV.UK - Claim Universal Credit. The calculator is designed to only ask Don't skip ahead or you might not get asked all You’ve accepted all cookies. That means your eligible rent is reduced by 14%, to £86 per week. Choose the '1 bedroom' rate if you are 35 years or over and rent a self-contained property (e.g. Use a benefits calculator to work out what you could get or check what extra help is available. Your Housing Benefit will be calculated using that figure. See How housing benefit is calculated for more information about how to calculate housing benefit. If you are of working age or a mixed age couple (where one of you is over Pension Credit qualifying age and the other of you is under that age) you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. There’s no set amount of Housing Benefit and what you get will depend on whether you rent privately or from a council. If you rent privately, your eligible rent amount is either your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate or your actual rent, whichever is lower. Use the benefit cap calculator to find out how the benefit cap affects you. There was an error with the form. All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated, National restrictions in England from 5 November, find out how many bedrooms you’re eligible for, Council and housing association evictions, Swap your council or housing association home, Jobseeker's Allowance and low income benefits, Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support, Transparency and freedom of information releases, your household income - including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000), your circumstances, for example the age of people in the house or if someone has a disability, 14% of the ‘eligible rent’ for 1 spare bedroom, 25% of the ‘eligible rent’ for 2 or more spare bedrooms, a child that would normally share but shared bedrooms are already taken, for example you have 3 children and 2 already share, a couple or children who cannot share because of a disability or medical condition, an overnight carer for you, your partner, your child or another adult - this is only if the carer does not live with you but sometimes has to stay overnight, an approved foster carer who is between placements but only for up to 52 weeks from the end of the last placement, a newly approved foster carer for up to 52 weeks from the date of approval if no child is placed with them during that time, the lower figure of your ‘eligible’ rent or, your household income including benefits, pensions and savings (over £6,000), your circumstances (for example your age or whether you have a disability), a room with any meals included in the rent (sometimes known as a boarding home), have a break in your claim for Housing Benefit, council tenant, it’s paid into your rent account (you will not receive the money), private or housing association tenant, it’s paid into your bank or building society account (rarely by cheque).